PaulaH
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi

I'm looking at booking this trip for next year and am after abit of info.......

The details state that there are only 4 dinners included - 

I'm pescartarian (I eat fish but not meat) so am always slightly worried about options. Also with regards to the recent news of the two girls in Cambodia.

What are the options and prices like for eating out? 

Also does anyone have any advice / suggestions on general spending money? 

Thanks 

Paula

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Paula

In my experience of long haul trips the local guide will have suggestions of where to eat and the tour manager will often arrange a meal if enough travellers are interested.

With regards to how much money to take I always look on the Internet for comparison prices to UK for eating and drinks for each destination I travel to.  There may well be some information if you search the Review section for this holiday too.

It was terribly tragic news of the two girls who died but my understanding is that they had taken local medication.  I always try to pack any medication I think I may need in the UK to avoid having to buy anything overseas but again the local guide/tour rep will advise.  Sadly it doesn't sound like they had that support available to them

IanWight
(Member)
Hi Paula,

I am booked on this trip - there is another thread re this trip for 6 November 2018!

I have previously visited Vietnam & Cambodia but not Laos. I was a solo traveller on a trip mainly made up of couples and a couple of times opted to eat in hotels as it was simply the easy option! I have not checked the location of hotels in relation to restaurants but tuk tuks are cheap and an easy way to get from A to B. I do keep notes re my travels but do not usually go into detail of every meal or what it cost but having had a quick re-read I seem to have been generally pleasantly surprised!

Re Vietnam & the add on I was told about a chain "Highland Coffee" which the TM on my last trip recommended & used. Beers, & very good coffee, and a good selection of food at reasonable prices. I expect to find the nearest one next year!

Re Cambodia then in Phnom Penh the "Foreign Correspondent's Club" is where I will be headed. I don't know about the fish but the steak there was very nice and there are great river views.

As Jonah says the TM will also know a few places and I recall there was a good variety on menus and fish is a regular staple so you should have a reasonable choice.

You can find reviews for the places mentioned if you Google them.

Ian

boltonlass
(Member)
'PaulaH' wrote:

Hello Paula,

I am considering the trip to Cambodia/Laos in Nov 2018. I was wondering if you did go in 2017 and if you enjoyed the trip? Do you have any tips for me?

I am wondering how much time you spend in cities in relation to how much time you spend speaking to locals and to Buddist monks. Were you in the countryside alot? How were your meals? I have read the itinerary in detail but it is hard to get a flavour of the city/countryside balance from the itinerary.

Thanks

Jill (newbie)

Hi

I'm looking at booking this trip for next year and am after abit of info.......

The details state that there are only 4 dinners included - 

I'm pescartarian (I eat fish but not meat) so am always slightly worried about options. Also with regards to the recent news of the two girls in Cambodia.

What are the options and prices like for eating out? 

Also does anyone have any advice / suggestions on general spending money? 

Thanks 

Paula

PaulaH
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Jill.

Sorry I've only just seen this.

I'm actually booked in the trip for November this year, so sorry I can't answer any of your questions.

There are a couple of reviews on here from others that have been. They were really useful in helping me decide to book, so hopefully they may answer some of you issues.

I'm still fairly new to JY, this will be my third trip, the others have been amazing and I'm sure this one will be too.

Paula

IanWight
(Member)
Hi Jill,

I am booked for November and have been previously to Cambodia & Hanoi (the add on) but not to Laos. On my previous trip the main part of the tour was Vietnam with a few days in Cambodia at the end. Well Cambodia turned out to be the hidden gem - hence my return in November.

Last time I flew into Phnom Penh & then flew to Siem Reap & then flew out of the country. In Seam Reap we were close enough to the temple complex to see these from my hotel room window so did not travel far to see these. We did the overland trip to Tonie Sap lake which was a thoroughly enjoyable day and we got a stop or two to see local village life.

The attraction to me of this trip is that once we fly in then all movement is by ground transportation and looking at the itinery there are plenty of opportunities to see the countryside and meet the people all of whom I found very friendly.

Laos is new territory for me but again there looks to be plenty of opportunities to interact.

As to being in cities then they are not like western cities and I never felt oppressed by the hustle and bustle you get when going (for me) up to London for example. Crossing the road is a bit of an art as nothing stops (there were traffic lights in Hanoi that came in useful!) but it is mainly mopeds and as long as you keep walking you are ok! If in doubt look for a local crossing the road & keep him/her between you and the oncoming traffic!

Foodwise I have no dietary requirements and have mentioned a couple of places in an earlier post on this thread. The TM usually knows a place or two and part of the experience is the fun of eating out and savouring the atmosphere.

Anything more specific then do feel free to ask.

Ian

APorter910
(Member)
wow this is great, I would love to live in Cambodia